Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Days of Caring

On several occasions my postings have referenced the importance of service, but this past Saturday I experienced serving firsthand as a volunteer for our local United Way’s Days of Caring event. I was joined by dozens of my fellow citizens as we tackled numerous projects for many of our community’s not-for-profit agencies. It was a memorable experience.

Our project team spent the day at an apartment house installing a fence, building a flower bed, assembling a storage shed and bookcase, and installing a countertop desk. The weather was warm, the ground was wet and muddy from a previous day of heavy rain, and I was feeling “under the weather” due to a bad allergy attack. In spite of these obstacles I was soon lost in the fun and joy of serving others.

Anyone who has spent time helping others with no expectations for anything in return knows what I am talking about. Everyone associated with the project had a positive attitude and a commitment to get things done. We collaborated to unload all the project materials from a trailer, carrying everything at least twice to get it to the work area behind the house. Our team had an experienced contractor giving leadership to the more complex tasks but the rest of us assumed responsibility as needed to complete many of the projects without his supervision.

We ended the day knowing our efforts would be appreciated by those who live in the apartments. In fact, one of the residents kept tabs on our work throughout the day and told us how nice everything looked. Even without that acknowledgment I would have felt a deep satisfaction about our efforts, knowing the community will benefit for years to come. Serving doesn’t require a formal “pat on the back”; the rewards are intangible but very real just the same.

I wish more of my colleagues and community leaders had volunteered to help. By giving back we all learn valuable lessons about selflessness, respect, empathy, and love. We develop new friendships, increase awareness of the needs in our community, and gain valuable insights about ourselves. I believe effective and inspirational leadership begins and ends with serving others. Days of Caring simply reminded me how true that statement is.

No comments: