Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why Good Is Good Enough

As a recovering workaholic there is one problem that has consistently plagued me on the journey...I like things to be right. Well, actually that isn’t quite true. I like things to be perfect. Now you know why I tend to work longer and harder than necessary on projects. My need for perfection can border on an obsession, and I must continually remind myself that what I am doing is probably just fine.

I suppose the core of this problem can be traced back to fear - fear of losing control, fear of not being appreciated, fear of failure. It’s amazing how compelling the emotion of fear can be! What I consider excellent, when skewed by fear’s unrealistic expectations, often far exceeds the necessary standards set by others. Somehow that doesn’t seem to matter, as my way of thinking is so entwined with self-image it is difficult to remain objective.

Ironically, in my executive coaching role, I often encounter others who share my workaholic tendencies. Somehow it seems easier to dispense wisdom about how to deal with these problems when you aren’t the one being held accountable to change. Advising someone else to accept that “good is good enough” has a different ring when the words don’t apply to me.

My brain doesn’t seem to struggle with the notion that tying self-worth to my work is a losing proposition. The logic is solid and the facts are supported by evidence. It’s the “heart connection” that gets me in trouble. Allowing myself to feel loved and accepted by others, without a connection to what I may have done to deserve all this, is where I face the biggest challenge. I’m pretty sure this isn’t just my problem.

Being competitive and detail-oriented also contribute to my workaholic tendencies. Doing it bigger or better is always a real temptation. I’m constantly reminding myself that spending more time on something won’t necessarily improve the outcome. Finishing first, or receiving recognition for the accomplishment, isn’t a lasting legacy either.

When the lure of perfection has its way, the outcome is usually disappointment. That’s because the standards we set for ourselves always tend to be higher than how the world is ultimately judging us. Learning to live with “good enough” isn’t an excuse for poor performance, it may be the only reminder you will receive that prevents you from complete burnout.

No comments: