Saturday, March 3, 2007

Creating a Truthful Culture

One of my clients recently told me about a difficult decision he had to make about one of his employees. During the conversation he thanked me for telling him the truth when he had asked my advice about this situation during a previous meeting. His courageous actions were a result of being confronted with the facts by someone he trusted to tell him the truth. While grateful that my advice made a difference in this case, I am reminded of the times when playing "fast and loose" with the truth has been my first choice.

One doesn't have to look far to find evidence that leaders don't make truth-telling a priority. There are daily reminders in the media where ads blare a message followed by a burst of fine print or fast talk to satisfy the legal department, where carefully crafted press releases and sound bites follow indictments of public officials, and where political rhetoric has replaced any efforts to present the facts. Could it be that we have unwittingly created a culture that rewards those who lie? Do we as leaders contribute to this dysfunctional system?

I know from recent personal experience how hard it is to accept the truth, especially when being confronted with it by someone you trust and respect. But that conversation was a catalyst in my life, personally and professionally. It has been nearly two months since a good friend challenged me with the truth. His vulnerability and courage was what I needed and with God's help I have made some significant changes. It hasn't been easy - surrendering our will never is - but what a difference it has made!

I have discovered that telling the truth can inspire myself and others. On more than one occasion I have shared my story with others, encouraging them to join me on this journey. I am consciously aware during each conversation of times when it might be easier to cheapen the truth or ignore it altogether. Being courageous enough to tell the truth as I see it hasn't been an easy route to take. Yet, the results have proven rewarding and my clients, colleagues, and family will all benefit if I can create a truthful culture in my business and personal life.

Perhaps you have your own stories of truth-telling to share. If so, please offer your comments to this piece. Pearl Buck is quoted as saying, "The truth is always exciting. Speak it then. Life is dull without it." Is it time to liven up your professional and personal life? Telling the truth might be just the prescription you are looking for.

No comments: