Saturday, August 25, 2007

Staying Focused

These past couple of weeks have been unusually hectic including speaking engagements, proposals and sales calls, major project deadlines, and traveling to Chicago for personal training and enrichment. In spite of the pace of my schedule I have also been working on an important leadership activity, staying focused.

In particular, I have been creating a Defining Statement for my business – something that clearly says who I work with and what I do to help them. The genesis for this process began as a pre-work assignment from Inscape Publishing as I prepared for distributor training earlier this month. They mailed each of us a book written my Mark LeBlanc titled “Growing Your Business”. In it he outlines a few steps to follow in creating a Defining Statement for your business. I’m not willing to share his secrets here; you can buy his book for that purpose. Instead I want to share my current version of a Defining Statement and offer a few brief thoughts about the importance of being focused as a leader.

So here is my working draft of a Defining Statement for Higher Ground Consulting Group, LLC: “I work with leaders who want to be inspiring and organizations that embrace them.” I call it a working draft because I’m still testing it with clients, prospects, and business colleagues. So why bother with this exercise at all? Is there really value in being focused?

I have always believed that great businesses, no matter their size, choose their customers. One way to do this is by screening prospects against your Defining Statement. In my case, I really don’t want to work with leaders who aren’t willing to do what it takes to become inspiring in their roles. I have also discovered, through personal experience, that if organizations don’t embrace this new style of leadership then it is difficult for me to have much success with them.

Great leaders know that without focused efforts they can’t be as effective. A compelling vision, a clear set of personal values, a willingness to be vulnerable, or the courage to say “no” can have an amazing effect on personal and professional growth. Inspirational leaders seek to serve others with love, not control them through fear and intimidation.

Being focused in marketing and sales efforts means less time chasing after “bad business” and more time nurturing the relationships that are necessary to earn credibility and integrity while being authentic. Great ideas and business models grow out of a sense of focus and a willingness to “stay the course” as the organization grows.

That is what I am hoping will happen with my Defining Statement. I’m testing it to see if others are attracted to it and whether they will use it to tell others about my business. This past week I shared it with nearly fifty business owners and leaders during a chamber workshop where I was the guest speaker. A number of attendees have already offered their feedback and that will help me to “focus” the statement even further.

Being a leader isn’t easy but without a clear focus it just might be impossible. What is your Defining Business Statement? Do you have a personal mission statement as well? Your comments about my working draft are invited. Your willingness to share it with someone else would be the ultimate compliment.

No comments: