Sunday, November 25, 2007

Expressing Gratitude

Today marks the official close of another Thanksgiving weekend. Most of us have traveled near and far to gather with family and friends, enjoying a brief respite from the busyness of our lives. This unique American holiday began as a simple meal where the first settlers in Jamestown, Virginia gathered to thank God for his provisions. In 1863, with our nation in the midst of a civil war, Lincoln proclaimed an annual day of thanksgiving urging his fellow Americans to remember that the nation’s blessings were “gracious gifts of the most high God”.

Our current Thanksgiving celebrations seem more about feasting, shopping, and watching football than pausing to express our gratitude. Are we consciously aware and grateful for the gracious gifts we have, even on the day designated for that very purpose? I must confess it is easier to think about what I have accomplished or earned as a reward for my hard work and discipline, not as a gift.

Leaders have many opportunities each day to express our gratitude. It can be something small like a sincere “thank you” or something more formal like a promotion or bonus for a job well done. Many workers in our country never experience the joy of meaningful praise from their boss. In fact, feeling unappreciated or underappreciated is one of the primary reasons employees leave their jobs.

Can someone genuinely convey gratitude to another if a spirit of gratitude hasn’t transformed his or her own heart? In other words, can I express gratefulness without first being grateful? It’s an interesting question to ponder during this Thanksgiving season.

As you know by now, if you are a regular reader of this blog, my thoughts about leadership are deeply rooted in my faith and in the belief that a leader’s relationship with those they serve (employees, customers, and vendors) is dynamic and transformational. When leaders practice courage or exhibit vulnerability they transform how others view them and relate to them. If leaders serve, tell the truth, and love those who follow them the workplace is transformed into a holy sanctuary.

Expressing gratitude is also transforming. When I can acknowledge that who and what I am is not of my own doing, but rather the result of God’s graciousness to me, I am forever changed. I begin to view all those around me as part of God’s larger plan for my life. Who will I meet today that represents God’s gift to me, the person who will bring me what I need for this moment in time? Perhaps more importantly, who is waiting for me to offer that same gracious gift to them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought it was the Pilgrims in Plymouth, Massachusetts that we remember at Thanksgiving time.

Ken Byler said...

Author's Note: The Pilgrim celebration happened two years later in 1621. Their version of the meal was more elaborate and maybe that is why the history books mention it.