Saturday, May 31, 2008

Finding Your Sweet Spot

Golfers know that to maximize direction and distance when driving the ball requires hitting a particular area of the clubface, sometimes referred to as the “sweet spot.” By combining strength and coordination, the world’s best players learn to consistently make contact at or near this target area. The resulting monstrous drives, accurate iron shots, and putts made under pressure are evidence of the “sweet spot’s” role in determining success on the golf course.

Do leaders also have a “sweet spot” that determines their ability to be successful? What separates the very best leaders from the rest of the pack? Is it luck, hard work, superior intellect, management theories, or a combination? Answering these questions is more than a definition of leadership success; it will likely change your life forever.

I found my “sweet spot” by first focusing on my passions. It took a while to sort out the difference between what I like to do and what I love to do but eventually “learning” found its way to the top of my list. This revelation was validated when I discovered that “learner” is one of the five signature themes in my life; themes that I am developing into strengths. When I am engaged in any process that involves learning that is when I experience the greatest level of satisfaction and success.

The next step in finding my “sweet spot” came by intentionally seeking opportunities to use my love for learning. This included choosing a career path that has led me into training and consulting work where each day I actively sharpen my “learner” strength and use my passion for learning to engage others.

Finally, my personal “sweet spot” is shaping the way I hope to make a small difference in the world (or at least my immediate sphere of influence). I have always believed that God puts us on this earth for a reason. Mine is to discover, nurture, and affirm a lifelong love for learning in myself and others. I call this my personal mission statement but it is really much more. It is my purpose in life, why I am here, and what I hope to be remembered for.

These three elements combine to create my personal “sweet spot”; the best of who I am as a leader. Like golfers and other athletes I don’t always perfectly execute these fundamentals or have the courage to acknowledge their importance in my life. Yet in many ways discovering my “sweet spot” has changed everything for me. I am more focused, more satisfied, and certainly more effective in the work I do. Hopefully my clients and colleagues sense this difference through my approach to relationships, how I do my work, and who I am as a person.

Leaders have many unique opportunities to impact those we serve. Discovering and living in your “sweet spot” may be the most important. By modeling and teaching others to find their own “sweet spots” we can do more than talk about changing the world; we can actually do it.

No comments: