Friday, July 23, 2010

Off the Grid

Vacations seem like both a blessing and a curse. While most of us look forward to getting away from our work for a few days, we often experience stress to juggle schedules and workloads before and after the time off. More and more people are staying connected to the office while on vacation through their smart phones and laptops. How does one regain perspective, recharge emotionally and physically, or enjoy time with family if the work doesn't really stop? It's a nagging question as I prepare for my own nine day excursion that begins tomorrow.

I announced to my Facebook friends and Twitter followers today that I will be on hiatus from all social media connections during my vacation. Most comments were encouraging but a few seemed to suggest that I would probably succumb to the temptations of my iPhone mobile applications and check my status or post a tweet. It's a challenge I plan to embrace and hopefully conquer.

To inspire me I found a quote (see below) that will encourage me when I feel the urge to "check in." If the author was living in this century I hope he would still concur with his advice about work-life balance. For me, I hope to rediscover life without technology these next days. My subsequent posting will be at least a couple of weeks away. Wish me well on my quest! Join me if you like.


"Life is best enjoyed when time periods are evenly divided between labor, sleep, and recreation...all people should spend one-third of their time in recreation which is rebuilding, voluntary activity, never idleness."  Brigham Young

No comments: