Sunday, September 26, 2010

High Touch Versus High Tech

If you are like me you’re never far from a high tech device that keeps you connected with family,  friends, customers, and the wider world. My favorite tech toy is the iPhone 4G and it seamlessly delivers my mobile phone service, e-mail applications, text messages, internet access, and a host of other games and services. Except for those dead spots in my AT&T network (too many I’m afraid) I remain tethered to my office no matter the day of the week or time of day.

Yes, I said “tethered” to my work. Just a few short years ago I could leave my office and my calendar, messages, customer list, and many other details remained behind. Now those names, phone numbers, and files travel with me digitally compressed into a tiny package of gleaming metal and glass secured on my belt. Initially this unfettered access gave me a sense of power and purpose. I was in control of my work and personal worlds in a whole new way. Or was I?

Studies indicate that many corporate-level leaders and office workers can receive as many as 200 e-mails per day and are interrupted by these messages 11 times every hour. Add to this mix the use of social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter (with their mobile applications) and these statistics would likely be even higher. How does anyone under these circumstances get quality work done?

I confess that in recent months my own use of social media has been sharply curtailed as I try to find some balance between high tech and high touch. Is having thousands of virtual friends all clamoring for my attention really worth it? Why is it so hard for a colleague to walk down the hall and ask me their question instead of sending the inevitable vague message that requires me to nuance its meaning? Is it really a good idea to manage your first line of customer service with an automated voice mail attendant instead of a live person?

It takes discipline to move toward high touch. I struggle to only read and respond to e-mails about three times per day. Sometimes I lack the energy or courage to pick up the phone or schedule a face-to-face meeting. Yet I also know when I hear a client’s voice or look in their eyes during our conversation I can understand more clearly what is really happening in their lives. Our human spirits long for quality interactions and today’s emphasis on efficiency over effectiveness is taking a toll. It’s a trend that, left uninterrupted, could leave us lazy, lonely, and illiterate.

This weekend I attended a conference where the emphasis was on creating friendships with persons who have disabilities. I was struck by the many stories of how human interaction makes a tangible difference in the lives of both caregivers and their disabled clients. I discovered the importance of welcoming, accepting, and encouraging every member of God’s creation—to see myself and that disabled person as equal in God’s sight.

Our willingness as leaders to model effective listening skills, and practice empathy will go much further in building quality relationships than simply being accessible in a 24-hour digital world. It’s time to make a commitment toward high touch and reduce our addiction to high tech. We need greater engagement in the lives of those we serve—employees and customers—especially in these challenging times. Are you willing to mute your mouse with me? We might even save money on cheese.

No comments: