Sunday, August 19, 2012

Seeing CC’s

A few years ago I purchased a 2010 Volkswagen CC, a beautifully designed and fun to drive automobile. Back then the CC was still relatively new to the VW lineup and there weren’t many of them on the road. In fact, one of the reasons I could afford the car was because dealer incentives had made financing for the CC more attractive than the less expensive Jetta, one of Volkswagen’s most popular cars. In the days following my purchase I reveled in the knowledge that my new car was unique. Then something strange happened.

Over the next weeks I began to notice more and more CC’s as I traveled around the region. I discovered that someone in my neighborhood was even driving a model that seemed like an exact match to mine, including the color. Was this some strange coincidence? Had more CC’s suddenly been sold in my market area? What could explain this phenomenon?

I have concluded that nothing magical happened to make more CC’s appear. What did change was my own powers of observation—I was looking for the car because I now owned one. The leadership lesson I learned from this experience has been quite helpful. I tend to see more of what I am looking for, regardless of the topic or issue.

For example, my very recent experience with Lyme disease has made me more aware of the many persons I know who have battled the bacteria personally, or know someone who has. Because I am focused on the topic, it is easier to notice and hear the stories of others who share what I am going through. There are not more people with the disease but I am more in tune with those who are suffering.

Leaders need to understand that what they choose to focus on in their work does matter. If one only sees scarcity and deficits it is likely you will see more and more of the same malaise. When one chooses to see opportunity and promise it is possible to find more of each in the present and future. What leaders notice makes a difference in their outlook and outcomes.

By seeing more CC’s I gained some valuable insights about myself as a leader. Not only do I love my car but I now have a new appreciation for others who share my passion. If I want to be more effective as a leader I must recognize how influential my powers of observation can be. They help me to notice changes in my work environment. I can become more aware of a co-worker who is feeling pain or a client who is stressed.

In a world that seems so chaotic and lost I wonder how many leaders might benefit from seeing CC’s. Even if you’re not a car aficionado.

No comments: