Sunday, January 20, 2013

Persistence Pays

Recently I read a magazine article touting the power of persistence and it reminded me of my own musings about this topic in a blog post dated January 12, 2008. The byline for the article read “How persistence—the ability to stay focused on goals despite obstacles and adversity—makes us who we are.” My own experience validates this point. I hope you enjoy this post from the archive.

Few parents can resist the incessant whining of a petulant child who seems to know just the right moment to throw a tantrum in their effort to influence our decision to purchase the latest toy or irresistible candy sweet. While some of us may hold our ground and say “no” on a consistent basis, most will eventually succumb to their wishes and give them what they want. It seems that persistence has its rewards.

Leaders know that persistence plays a role in building successful organizations. The challenges of reduced product life cycles, economic volatility, and competitive pressures require a high level of determination, diligence, and perseverance if they are to be met and conquered. A relentless attention to quality, innovation, and process improvement are touted as necessary to build a world-class enterprise. Every company experiences ups and downs in its efforts to maintain profits and make a difference in the world.

The problem with persistence is that it takes time, a luxury many of us claim we don’t have. Maybe that’s a valid argument given our worldwide access to the latest trends, stock prices, and corporate news. It’s hard to stay the course when the pressure to perform is so magnified. But imagine the outcome if a silkworm chose to deviate from its instinctive ritual of eating, chewing, and spinning? The cocoon that results from this persistent pattern of behavior could never be completed. The miracle of transformation that occurs when the cocoon breaks and a magnificent butterfly emerges would also be lost.

Few leaders appreciate the transformational power of persistence. I know from experience that my own desire for results makes it difficult to perform the steady, consistent tasks that build every successful business. Nurturing strong relationships with clients, prospects, and referral sources takes time. Opening new doors, creating new products, and building a brand don’t happen overnight or even over five years. Sowing seeds is just the first step to a bountiful crop. In between there is lots of watering, weeding, fertilizing, and waiting…in other words, persistence.

Perhaps the lesson I need to learn most as a business owner and leader is that God is persistent in His love for me; in fact his mercy never fails. He knows that my personal transformation isn’t over, that I have much to learn about patience, surrender, and obedience. So I’m taking steps to consistently and persistently carry on with my goal to work with leaders who want to be inspiring and organizations that embrace them. In the end I hope my clients will say that about me and our firm.

No comments: