Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sensitivity Training

Earlier this month I attended a local chamber luncheon and was invited by the staff (without prior warning) to offer the invocation. I’m not sure what qualifications are required to serve in this capacity but I was willing to oblige. (Perhaps my prior experiences with performing this duty were taken into account.) When the appointed time came I was invited to the podium and delivered a prayer that seemed unremarkable at best and is long since forgotten by those in attendance. As the event ended, my choice of words that day became a leadership lesson I will not soon forget.

Within moments of the invitation to adjourn I was asked by a Jewish friend if they could have a word with me. I have chosen to disguise the gender of this person because it is not relevant to the story and may relieve speculation by those local leaders who regularly read my online musings. They proceeded to gently inform me that they had been offended when I closed by invocation by invoking the name of Jesus. Initially their concern caught me off guard because I was simply practicing my personal faith perspective as I have done for most of my adult life. But as they explained their position I began to appreciate how much I have to learn about practicing sensitivity as a leader.

Today’s workplaces and the communities where we live have become more diverse in the past twenty years. It is easy to overlook the richness of culture, ethnicity, religion, and values accompanying these changes. Judeo-Christian values remain an integral part of the Indian Valley and North Penn communities where my event took place. For this reason, many of us who share these values have become complacent about the need to recognize and embrace the diversity that now surrounds us. From traditions like luncheon invocations to scheduling community and business events, there is much more we can do to be more inclusive.

The thoughtful admonition of my colleague prompted a formal apology from me later that same day. A phone call ensued that allowed us both to talk more about the incident and to share ideas that have deepened my understanding and appreciation for a different faith tradition and its practices. None of this would have been possible if my friend had remained silent.

Perhaps that is the real leadership lesson for us to ponder. How courageous are you in the face of insensitive behavior or decisions that exclude the voice of minority groups in your organization or communities? Do you consider how word choices and scheduling events on religious holidays impacts those who don’t share your religious tradition? Whether you are the majority or minority voice, inspirational leaders will be authentic to their values while respecting those whose views are different.

I learned a valuable lesson and deepened a relationship because I made a mistake. Yet that error in judgment could just as easily have been a teachable moment lost without the intervention of someone who cared. I’m glad it wasn’t. Sensitivity is synonymous with compassion, understanding, sympathy, kindliness, and warmth. I owe my friend a debt of gratitude for bringing this word to life.

No comments: