Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Power of Letting Go

I like to be in control. Just ask my spouse, son, or business colleagues. I’d like to think that my need for control isn’t about wielding power, but perhaps the aforementioned persons would see things differently. Being in control allows me to manage things; to ensure quality, to stay on task, and to meet deadlines. The idea of letting go is both challenging and frightening, yet in recent months that is what I have been trying to do.

Some things in my life are easier to release than others. I’m less obsessive about perfection than I used to be…humbled perhaps by the mistakes that inevitably happen. While I still try hard to perform high quality work I’m more forgiving of myself and others when the outcomes don’t always meet my high standards. I now accept the many interruptions that can wreak havoc with my ordered schedule. When an unexpected visitor appears at my office door the need to control time gives way to conversation and relationship building. It’s a struggle but I’m learning how to let go of these areas in my life, not perfectly, but I think I am making progress.

I wish I could say the same for all the things I try to control. How does one let go of anger and hurt? Can leaders really surrender the future of their businesses to God as an act of faith? When revenue doesn’t meet the budget or clients cancel a signed contract, how do you just let it go? How do you trust a political process that seems bent on destroying free enterprise and the liberties that most of us take for granted?

Leaders are often in unique positions of power and influence. It’s tempting to use this platform to control the very people we are called to serve. Voices of opposition may be silenced or ridiculed. Perceived opponents can be identified and publically vilified. Our need for control can prevent us from listening and learning from others, especially those following us.

As a “recovering control freak” I have much more to learn about letting go. I’m indebted to persons who love me and courageously challenge me to let go. Who is playing this role in your life as a leader? More importantly are you listening to them and willing to experience a new kind of power, the power of letting go?

No comments: