Monday, December 28, 2009

Roll On

It seems fitting that my final posting for 2009 should feature a few words about customer service. After all, customers are an important ingredient for business success. Well, perhaps I should rephrase that to say “satisfied and happy” customers are what matters. This brings me to my story about Creamery Tire, a local family tire business that has prospered because they understand the power of service.

I heard about Creamery Tire from my wife’s work colleagues, many of whom are long-time customers. Our Pacifica needed four new tires and the local dealership’s prices were going to cost me a small fortune so I was looking for an affordable option. Apparently I was the only person in the area who didn’t know about the Shainline family’s tire store just off Route 113 in Creamery. But that was about to change.

The non-descript metal building was surrounded by vehicles when I drove into the lot a week ago. I managed to find a parking spot and soon was standing in line in a crowded waiting area for a chance to speak with Dick Shainline, the semi-retired founder of the business. The scene was chaotic with phones ringing, people seated or standing all around the room, and the noise of compressors and air tools seeping into the room from the four-bay shop next to the lobby. There was no signage to direct you so I followed the lead of the other persons in line and patiently waited my turn.

I had called ahead to verify the price and availability of my tires and now my order was written on a large sheet of paper that served as a master schedule. This low tech system seemed to work just fine as one by one the first names of customers were called out and new tires were purchased or repair work performed. Dick and his two sons, who now manage the business, acted as conductors answering phones, fielding questions, writing invoices, taking payments, and directing customers in and out of the four service bays. A large columned whiteboard behind the counter covered with marker-written numbers appeared to be the inventory control system.

As I waited my turn I couldn’t help but notice how this business treated its customers like extended family members. Many of the tire repairs I witnessed were either free or a nominal $5 or $10 fee. Questions were patiently answered and there was no attempt to sell someone a more expensive brand or style of tire if it wasn’t needed. My ninety minute wait paid off as I left with four new tires and a savings of more than $150 off the lowest installed price I had received from the competition.

I have never seen an ad for Creamery Tire and their company website is very basic. Yet they appear to be thriving because of their simple commitment to honest pricing, quality products, and superior service. Now I understand why current customers are so loyal and how word-of-mouth keeps new customers coming through their doors. By writing about my experience I’m giving them even more visibility. It’s a simple recipe for success that businesses everywhere should heed in the decade ahead.

No comments: