Sunday, May 2, 2010

Some Things About Fred

My youngest brother, Fred, died unexpectedly in 1987 at the age of 28. I’ve never written much about him or his life except for the eulogy shared at his funeral. What prompted me to introduce him here was his ability to make work art. Perhaps I should clarify. You see, Fred was an artist whose personal gifts extended far beyond the canvas or the clay. His gift was the ability to change the people around him. Let me try to explain.

Most of us think an artist is someone skilled at their craft – a painter, poet, songwriter, singer, sculptor, or novelist. Fred was well trained and skilled in his craft of graphic design. He attended art school, earned his degree, and established a business in Philadelphia. His clients appreciated the creative, high quality logos, posters, brochures, and other items he produced for them. But did that make him an artist?

My brother was an artist because of how he interacted with everyone he met in the short time he was given on this earth. I remember his love of life and passion for living it. He paid attention to his young nieces and nephew (my son) at every family gathering engaging them in playful fun and encouraging their own talents. Fred wasn’t bound by the need for approval or perfection. He generously shared who he was with everyone, knowing some probably wouldn’t understand.

I doubt if many leaders view their work as creating art. After all, we don’t show up at our desks with a paintbrush, a stack of sketchpads, or a lump of pottery clay. Is there art in answering the telephone, solving a customer problem, or chairing today’s meeting? Are you changing how people feel about themselves or about your company by how you treat them? Is the work you do insightful or bold, imaginative or brave? Do you generously share of yourself and your gifts with others?

Fred deserves to be recognized for the special way he approached life and business. The talents he had made him a competent employee and entrepreneur. The materials he created provided a livelihood and earned him a loyal following. The person he was made him an artist. I appreciate this leadership lesson from my “little brother” and hope it will encourage everyone who reads this blog to find the artist within you and be brave enough to let it out.

2 comments:

Hope For The Best... said...

Was your brother Fred E. Byler?

Ken Byler said...

Yes, did you know him? If so you may contact me directly through my email at ken@highergroundcg.com.