Sunday, July 20, 2008

Regarding Root Canals

This past week I experienced my first encounter with a root canal; a trip to the dentist that I knew would be necessary sooner or later (See my blog posting on January 27, 2008). Three weeks of intermittent pain had finally motivated me to act and X-rays confirmed the need for action. During the next 75 minutes I had plenty of time to reflect on a few leadership lessons I observed during my procedure.

Lesson number one is the importance of effective communication. Oddly enough I’m not thinking about how the dentist or his assistant communicated with me, rather I was struck my how critical it was for them to be “on the same page.” They acted as a team to efficiently drill the hole, extract the nerves, and fill the cavity. Several times I noticed the assistant anticipating what the dentist needed, even though he had not issued a request. I’m sure this is a result of the many times they have collaborated on similar procedures and the level of training and discipline they bring to their work. Effective leaders must state what they want as well as anticipate the needs of those they serve.

Access to the right equipment was the second lesson I observed. A root canal involves intricate and delicate surgery using a microscope and some unusual tools. I was even outfitted with a special mask and goggles to provide added protection. Throughout the process every step was dependent on having the right instrument in hand and the knowledge to use it. Drilling and filling require very different tools. Effective leaders provide the equipment that is best suited for the work being done. This attention to detail ensures that a quality product can be produced and employees aren’t frustrated.

The final lesson was learned as my root canal process drew to a close. While firmly packing the vacant nerve cavity with filling my dentist noticed that I was wincing in pain. It was a small and subtle signal that the Novocain local anesthetic was beginning to wear off. His first response was a quick and sincere apology followed by a reassuring word to allay any concerns I might have had about additional discomfort. An effective leader recognizes when their actions have impacted others and they take steps to repair the relationship or offer reassurance to calm fears and anxiety.

My trip to the dentist began as a mission to relieve a toothache. It ended with some timely reminders that effective communication, providing the right tools, and being sensitive to those we serve will relieve a different kind of ache – the pain caused by poor management. My root canal wasn’t cheap but the rewards for effective leadership are priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Your blog about the "well-oiled dentist team" reminded me of the TV show "Trauma-Life in the ER". I am amazed about the incredible amount of teamwork that takes place with no agenda or plan other than to "save a life" by doing whatever needs to be done in as short a time as possible. Decision making is absolute and executed accordingly, all towards a common goal of "saving a life". Behind that interaction is the great amount of mutual respect that exists amongst the team, which is key towards the success of the process."

I think this mirrors what you were talking about and gives a great example of what successful business managers and leaders are all about as well.