Monday, September 14, 2009

Top Line – Bottom Line Part 3

The journey continues as my blog posting was delayed a day by last minute preparations for a major seminar presentation and the Univest Grand Prix, a local world-class bike race that filled much of my Saturday morning and afternoon. There have been some interesting new twists and turns since my last entry. Yes, more people have come forward to comment on the previous posts and some new developments have me pondering yet another vision of Top Line versus Bottom Line.

Perhaps the most interesting of these insights came through a breakfast meeting with an old friend and client. Scheduled several weeks ago (before my recent blogging began) the conversation was both unexpected and invigorating. “How can you come to a meeting without an agenda or plan?” I wondered silently when my friend announced this fact. But there it was…a gift to me for the taking. Someone had actually decided to allow their inner voice to come forth without any ego to cloud their thinking.

Our few minutes passed quickly as ideas for a very different business model were discussed…ideas that hold some interesting hope and promise for guiding me through my current dilemma. While no commitments were made or strategies developed I found myself energized by the conversation and amazed at the courage of a friend who saw a vision for my business that I didn’t or couldn’t see.

The other development worth writing about took place on Friday when I was teaching the opening session for this year’s cycle of our chamber’s Community Leadership Institute. As often happens on this occasion I find myself focused on the deep truths and unshakable principles that guide my work with clients. I always share my destiny statement with the group and allow them to comment and ask questions about it. There are opportunities for me to be “real” and vulnerable with these emerging community leaders. It is always a special time and this year served to remind me of the reason my Top Line Aspirations are so important to me. When they “leaned into the conversation” I felt inspired and fulfilled.

These past few weeks have begun to offer both clarity and hope. While the answers may not yet be clear to me, or to my readers, the questions I am asking seem to be the right ones. Perhaps that is what I need most right now…the right questions. You can help by offering your questions for me to ponder. Perhaps you are on a similar journey and would like to share your story. All are welcome as I move closer to reconciling my Top Line and Bottom Line. There is definitely more to come…stay tuned.

No comments: