Sunday, August 29, 2010

Reaching Out

I am a recovering workaholic...although most days I don’t seem to recognize the recovery part. The current economic environment has negatively affected my business and pushed me into unhealthy work habits. Left unchecked, I know what the results could look like. Even a ten-day vacation has failed to alter the landscape very much. When I am feeling stressed it is hard to admit what is happening and to ask for help but that is what I decided must be done.

A couple of weeks ago I shared my situation by reaching out to trusted friends and associates. While not revealing every detail, I admitted that I was struggling when they would ask me how things were going. This simple decision to tell the truth opened the door for further conversation. Some of them spoke of similar challenges, others offered words of encouragement. None condemned or judged me for my behavior.

This past week I told my business partners what has been happening, a step that left me feeling quite vulnerable. They heard me say I won’t be achieving all the goals set for the business this year. It felt like I was admitting failure. Yet my reaching out allowed them to offer fresh perspectives and the chance to share some of my personal pain. The conversation helped us formulate a plan for what might be a sensible next step.

By talking more freely about my struggles I am finding courage to take action. I have begun limiting some of my volunteer activities and trying to reduce my work time outside the office (this blog is one exception to that practice). Activities I enjoy, like walking and reading, are receiving greater attention. Reaching out has prompted me to slowly change the habits that contribute most to increasing my stress levels.

I’m fully aware that stress is a problem for millions of people during these difficult days. Some will turn to alcohol or drugs as a means of escape. Others may require professional therapy or even prescription medications to regain balance in their lives. I hope many will do what I have done and reach out. Including others in your journey means greater accountability and support for any changes that might be needed.

I’m grateful for the many positive ways my circle of family, friends, and business associates has responded to my cry for help. If I had reached out and found no one willing to listen or care I can’t imagine what might have happened. Instead, while the journey continues and the ending is yet uncertain, I am no longer walking alone. It’s a great feeling and perhaps someday I can return the favor.

No comments: