Sunday, September 12, 2010

Finding Focus

If you read my blog with any regularity then you already know about my recent stressful personal and business journey. The reaction to my postings have been very supportive and I have been somewhat surprised by the number of readers that have resonated with my plight and offered personal words of encouragement and hope. While I’m still in the throes of a painful, and sometimes lonely, struggle my experience has been reminding me of an important step toward healing - the power of finding one’s focus.

I’m not a musician but have often wondered what might happen if members of an orchestra failed to focus their attention and musical energies toward the conductor. It can’t be easy leading a group of gifted persons to express the sheet music in front of them with one voice and vision. There must be lots of distractions for each individual musician as they hear the cacophony of sounds around them, from instruments large and small. Keeping one’s eyes on the conductor is the difference between average musical results and an unforgettable performance.

When I am struggling with stressful situations it is hard to stay focused. Competing projects and deadlines all seem to require immediate attention. There is little room for personal rest and relaxation. Simple items like routine emails or rote tasks become major distractions. Sometimes it’s hard to even get started or motivated in the morning.

This past week in one of my class settings I shared my destiny, character, and calling statements with the group to illustrate how inspirational leadership grows out of this clear sense of purpose. I realized anew how important these three expressions are in my life - they are my focus point, my North Star. Perhaps one reason I have felt stressed and lost is because I have allowed distractions to take my eye off my Conductor, God. As His creation, I am deeply loved and celebrated. My destiny statement which reads “to create a sustainable community of inspirational leaders” is no accident, it is the purpose God has for my life. It is up to me to stay focused on this purpose and then get out of the way as God does His work in my life.

As I prepare for what will be a very busy week, I am grateful for the reminder I received to regain my focus. It’s obvious during the past couple of months I have allowed the challenges of business to take my eyes off the Conductor. Impatience with myself and the results I have been achieving have tempted me to “play my own tune and follow my own beat” when I should have been paying attention to the sure, steady rhythm of God’s baton. Perhaps you can relate to this same loss of focus. If your story mirrors mine I invite to you find your focus and dramatically alter the quality of the music you will make this coming week. I think I hear a “bravo” in our future.

No comments: