Saturday, January 17, 2009

Celebrating Miracles

By now most of us have read numerous accounts or scanned photos and video of Thursday’s dramatic crash landing of a US Airways Airbus 320 on a frigid river in New York City. Our nation is celebrating this “Miracle on the Hudson” (as the incident is known) since all 155 persons on board survived the accident. The pilot is being hailed as a hero and experts who know the challenges of landing a commercial airliner when there are engine problems describe his actions as a combination of skill, experience, and luck.

Wikipedia defines “miracle” as a visible interruption of the laws of nature, such that can only be explained by divine intervention, and is sometimes associated with a miracle-worker. In casual usage, "miracle" may also refer to any statistically unlikely but beneficial event (such as the survival of a natural disaster).

Was the miraculous outcome of this potential tragedy really a miracle or just another example of beating the odds? I’m not going to pretend that I have the intellect or qualifications to pronounce judgment on either side of the argument. Instead I found myself rejoicing at this unlikely ending to a story that could just as easily have stirred my emotions with overwhelming sadness if the passengers and crew had all perished in the crash.

Regardless of your position on the validity of miracles, leaders would do well to uncover and commemorate the many small acts of kindness, love, and mercy that touch our lives every day. In a world where most of the news is overwhelmingly negative, where employees fear for their jobs and worry about paying their bills, and where cynicism taints our conversations it is time to notice the beneficial events that will see us through this dark night in our souls.

For example, in my community there are more than seventy dedicated leaders volunteering their time to transform our local United Way and leverage its impact. That’s a miracle. I know persons who have lost their jobs but are being surrounded and supported by colleagues and friends as they deal with the grief and plan for a new future. Another miracle. Our new President represents hope and change for millions of Americans and reminds us of how far we have come in overcoming racial inequality. Regardless of political ideology we must see this for what it is, a miracle.

Because of my faith perspectives I believe in miracles that can only be explained through divine intervention and have observed first-hand the healing power of God. I also know that, if I paid more attention as a leader, I would notice remarkable stories of courage, authenticity, service, and love in the lives of my co-workers, clients, vendors, and friends. These are miracles too and I plan to recognize and celebrate them more diligently. I hope you will join me.

No comments: