Monday, September 7, 2009

Top Line – Bottom Line Part 2

Last week’s post began a personal journey to discover why my Top Line Dreams seem disconnected with Bottom Line Realities. It generated some helpful comments on my blog site plus additional emails and phone calls offering advice. Here are just a few excerpts:

“Nowhere in your vision/mission statements does it say anything about your "bottom line" expectations...maybe they are not as important as what we make them out to be!”
“I find that I have to follow my vision without being tied to the outcome. We don't always know where the rewards will come from or what they will be. I also find that we get tested; walls get put up like ‘the lack of bottom line results.’ The wall is not to keep us from fulfilling our vision but clarify it for you.”
"Great start, Ken! I wonder how you felt when you completed Part I. It seems to me the challenge now will be remaining opening to connect to One-ness rather than to force the "right" answer by heeding the mind's chatter.”


Thanks to everyone that responded so far. I’m glad to know my story is connecting.

So now what? That has been the question reverberating in my head all week and into the weekend. How do I sort through the many messages from my own ego and the advice of others? What helps you to focus when there are many competing voices? I discovered that some time out of the office offered the break I was looking for.

My wife and I traveled to western Pennsylvania this past Labor Day weekend to visit our son. The trip included some time in Holmes County, Ohio, rural home to the largest settlement of Amish in North America. Known for their simple lifestyle and close-knit families and communities, the Amish have mastered the “Top Line Aspirations” I wrote about last week. They are not influenced by “Bottom Line” thinking when they choose to join the church and adopt a centuries old way of life. Their refusal to allow outside influences to change who they are and what they believe is a lesson for me.

I grew up in rural central Pennsylvania, another area where Amish have settled. This trip reminded me of the many ways that community influenced who I am and what I believe. Memories of an influential pastor, a workplace mentor, and my own family suddenly offered fresh insights for me to ponder. An unexpected problem with our car’s starter motor also showed me how little control I really have over the ebb and flow of life (a story for another time).

Spending some quality time with my family was also a blessing. We laughed about driving right past our hotel in Ohio, explored Lehman’s Hardware store, joked about who could read a road map the best, and enjoyed plenty of good food together. Even our car breakdown didn’t prevent us from enjoying a planned baseball excursion to Pittsburgh. Those memories kept me from fixating on my company’s “Bottom Line” problems. It was a much needed diversion.

As I write this entry I admit my mind is a bit clearer. There are no obvious answers to my quest, at least not yet. But there has been a time of grace for a few days where work was not the focus. It’s a good place to be, a fresh start.

No comments: