Sunday, January 31, 2010

Are You Inspiring?

This week I participated in a conference call with nearly 100 other persons from around the globe. Hosted by Dr. Lance Secretan, a Canadian author and consultant, the topic focused on a new book he has written that will be published later this spring. Titled “The Spark, The Flame and The Torch” its message is presented as an integrated theory of how to be inspiring at all times and at every level. It is a theme that resonates with me.

A number of years ago I developed a Destiny Statement that has guided my life and work. It draws heavily on the theme of inspiration and says, “My destiny is to create a sustainable community of inspirational leaders.” To be sure, this is a challenging task, as I have discovered, but it also sustains me as I facilitate leadership classes, mentor and coach leaders, and write this weekly blog. It’s a legacy I hope to leave behind after my death.

Secretan used the call to remind us how dark this current era of leadership has been and how far we have strayed from the vision of inspiring others in the workplace, or any other venue. One doesn’t have to look very far (perhaps only the mirror) to see leaders who use control and fear to manage their employees and interact with vendors or clients. Every day the news reports remind us of companies who lose the confidence of customers by failing to tell the truth or do the right things. Toyota is learning a valuable lesson as it struggles to manage a massive recall involving many of its most popular vehicles. Silence by company leadership is not inspiring to millions of loyal customers.

Those participating in the conference call were invited to assist Secretan in creating a movement toward inspiration. This may involve small steps like sharing the news about the book with others or inviting them to join the movement. Some of us are already trying hard to live and work in a way that inspires others so this movement will become an extension of who we already are. Others suggested simple meditation exercises we can each practice inviting God’s Spirit to permeate our being and connect us with the spirits of those we meet. Many of us plan to buy copies of the book to share with clients and friends.

One way I plan to be more intentional about this new movement is to ask myself a simple question each morning, “How can I be inspiring today?” I’m hoping this exercise will encourage me to be more inspiring with my spouse and family, with my work colleagues, with my loyal clients and new prospects, and even with the drivers who irritate me on my way to work. Inspiration begins with the energy within each of us. I’m driven by my Destiny Statement and work hard to model inspirational leadership in the work I do. As loyal readers of my blog posting I invite you to join this movement and add your inspirational voice to the chorus. Together we can teach the world how to be inspiring!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Very inspiring post about inspiration..you are right leadership has been turning into "making people scaredship". And meditating is very effective at touching yourself so you may accomplish your goals (according to Gods will of course)

http://POFG.org

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your support Ken - I look forward to welcoming your colleagues to this new movement - let's change the world by being more inspired and being more inspiring. If a million of us do this, we will reviolutionize the world and the result will inspire us.