Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's in Our Face

I don’t understand the physiology of my face but there’s one thing I do know – it’s hard to disguise how I’m feeling – regardless of how hard I try to control the muscles, nerves, and tissue. If I’m worried, it shows on my face. When I’m sad, it’s usually pretty obvious. Yes, anger makes its appearance as well. My face often mirrors what is happening inside me and it can affect my ability to lead.

Duke basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, is quoted in his bestselling book “Leading With the Heart” as saying, “A leader has to show the face his team needs to see.” He’s describing the challenges facing leaders when they are in a crisis situation. The way we are feeling is obvious to the team regardless of what we say, and even how we may say it. Our eyes can reveal the fear and suffering. Our gait speaks volumes about our level of confidence. Our smile can change the atmosphere in a room.

When things are tough in business, as many of us are experiencing right now, it’s hard to feel confident and strong. Yet that is often exactly what our teams and clients need from us. When we believe in ourselves we actually become stronger. If we succumb to fear our opponents will quickly gain the upper hand and our employees may doubt themselves and the company’s ability to handle the crisis.

I’m not suggesting that we deny our fear but rather attack it head on. Learn how to give your team what they need to succeed and get through the toughest of times. Do they know that you believe in them and in yourself? Does your face show confidence and optimism? Is your expression and body language in sync with what you are saying? In other words, are you showing your team the face they need to see to believe they can actually win the game?

No comments: