Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gratitude

Thanksgiving Day will be celebrated later this week in the United States. This holiday has become synonymous with family gatherings, feasts, football, and shopping. Somewhere in the midst of this busyness I hope there will be time to express gratitude for the blessings we continue to enjoy. Even in the throes of a recession and persistently high unemployment our nation remains a rich land of opportunity.

A grateful heart stems from within, expressing thanksgiving for a God who knows us intimately. Science continues to discover the secrets of our human anatomy. Billions of nerve centers in our brain, the reliability of our heart muscle pumping blood throughout a network of blood vessels about 100,000 times each day, or lungs stretched flat to cover a volleyball court. As someone who has not experienced any significant health problems in more than 55 years these are amazing statistics—a reason for gratitude.

On my daily early morning walks through our neighborhood I have grown to appreciate the little things that I encounter. I’m grateful for the chorus of bird songs greeting me on those days when the sun is beginning to peek above the horizon. In the darkness of this time of year, I am thankful for the gentle rustle of leaves beneath my feet and the cool breezes that signal a change in seasons. I appreciate the opportunity to focus my thoughts and breathe my daily prayers to the rhythm of brisk strides around the block.

In this uncertain economy I am especially grateful for loyal clients that have supported my consulting and training business during this past year. I have been blessed by continuing friendships, words of encouragement, and new relationships. My gratitude extends to generous colleagues who have offered advice, collaborated on projects, and served as a listening ear when one was needed. I am inspired daily by encounters with friends and strangers in my social media network.

Most importantly I am grateful for a God who “knit me together in my mother’s womb”, who is both omniscient and omnipresent. It is comforting to know that my thoughts have been discerned and my path searched out, that I am never alone in this troubled world and my one crazy life. While I confess to personal doubts and fears, I am also encouraged by a strong sense of hope driven by the knowledge that I am loved by God.

However you plan to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday this week, take time to pause in a spirit of gratitude for the small and large gifts in your life. Know that even in your darkest moments of this past year God was there claiming you as his child. May this knowledge inspire you and I to act differently in a world where leaders with grateful hearts are needed more than ever.

No comments: