Sunday, November 28, 2010

Leading in the ER

The past Thanksgiving weekend will always be a memorable one but not because of traditional turkey dinners with family, the final Penn State football game of the regular season, or the absence of a Black Friday shopping trip. No, I will remember this holiday because of an unexpected early Saturday morning trip to the ER (Emergency Room).

Friday night was spent dining with friends before enjoying ice cream on the way home. All seemed normal until 1:00 AM Saturday morning when I woke with severe abdomen pain. My initial diagnosis was heartburn normally treated with a couple antacid tablets. Usually twenty minutes later I am fine but this pain persisted. Another tablet failed to reduce the symptoms which were forcing me into numerous contorted positions to alleviate the constant discomfort. By 3:30 AM the battle was lost and I was on my way to the local medical center.

A holiday shift at any business can’t be fun, but in a hospital ER it is surely a thankless job. While I moved quickly from registration into triage, and finally a treatment room, my emergency was not a first priority. The lone female doctor on duty was managing multiple cases from an infant to several elderly patients. She patiently prioritized her work and coordinated a small cadre of nurses who attended to everyone’s needs. When she did appear, her questions were focused to determine an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Within minutes I was receiving an EKG from one nurse, an IV from another, then off to X-ray before the doctor reappeared to offer her observations and discuss options. My brief ER stay ended by 6:30 AM with a promise to seek follow-up testing and treatment with my family doctor.

As I revisit my experience, several leadership qualities emerge that make ER doctors and other professionals proficient in their roles. First, is an ability to remain calm under pressure. I suppose the life and death environment of an emergency room requires those working there to learn this trait, perhaps as a survival mechanism. For the rest of us, this level-headed response may seem out of reach. We are easily influenced or distracted by the multiple issues that regularly compete for our attention. Unwavering focus and a steady demeanor can soothe customers and employees alike when stress is building.

Second, my doctor worked mostly in the shadows, quietly moving from patient to patient, then disappearing to handle paperwork or dictation. Nurses and other professionals became the frontline agents offering care based on her diagnosis. Leaders in every industry would be more effective if they engaged their employees in doing meaningful work. Remaining mostly in the background allows staff to execute plans without constant supervision or critique.

Finally I appreciate being included in my treatment options. By not insisting that I remain for additional tests, travel plans to spend time with family were unaffected. To be sure, if my condition had not improved I would have understood any doctor’s decision to keep me a while longer. Instead I will continue diagnosis and treatment under the care of my family physician. Too often customer needs are dismissed or ignored in favor of company policy. When leaders practice careful listening or encourage client interaction, solutions are often more palatable for everyone.

While I don’t recommend an ER visit to observe leadership in action, it provided an unexpected place for a blog idea to emerge. Perhaps a future posting will share “the rest of the story.”

No comments: