Sunday, November 7, 2010

Leadership Apps

If you own an Apple iPhone you probably have at least one of their popular Apps (short for Applications) downloaded on your phone. Since July 2008 the company’s popular iTunes online store has been a never-ending source of creative, interesting, practical, funny, and inane Apps for a wide variety of purposes. As of October 20, 2010 there were more than 300,000 Apps available and more than 7 billion downloads-to-date (according to Wikipedia.com). Many of these Apps are free while others are available for online purchase.

There are App categories covering games, entertainment, social networking, music, sports, reference, news, and a host of others. I can read the Wall Street Journal, check the latest sports scores on ESPN, listen to Sirius XM radio, update my Facebook status, look at images from NASA, monitor the weather, change the channel on my TV, and even find my way in the dark (yes, there’s an App for that too). These Apps keep me informed, save me time, and instantly connect me with friends.

This week I wondered what I would find if I searched the App store for leadership advice. I shouldn’t have been surprised to find a host of products, including one titled appropriately, “The Leadership App.” Of course, it’s already downloaded on my phone. The depth and breadth of items reminds me of the dozens of books devoted to this same topic in any local library or national bookstore chain. Everyone seems to have an opinion, sage advice, or expertise on some aspect of leadership. This blog is one of hundreds that crowd cyberspace each week looking for an audience with time to read and comment on the chosen topic.

If only it was possible to be an inspiring and effective leader by viewing a downloaded App, reading a book, or following a blog. Leaders and followers alike might wish the real world worked that way. But we know differently. Effective leadership requires a courageous commitment to live authentically, serve humbly, speak truthfully, and love unequivocally. It favors human interaction over sterile emails. It practices empathetic listening over scripted responses. It models confession and forgiveness over ego and retribution.

If I could figure out a way to package these inspiring leadership qualities into a slick digital presentation that, when downloaded, transformed the recipient into a highly effective manager or leader I might be both rich and famous. But Apps don’t have that kind of power to transform — they only serve to entertain, educate, inform, and amuse. The human heart and spirit is touched and influenced by people who generously share of themselves with others, without any expectation of something in return. Good news! There’s already an App for that and it’s called love. Smart phones aren’t required.

No comments: