Monday, February 7, 2011

Stoned

I am posting this blog a day later than usual because of an unexpected hospital stay that began last Tuesday and ended yesterday afternoon. My gall bladder decided to “stone” my system and did a pretty good job of incapacitating me for most of last week. By the time I was admitted and diagnosed, I had developed a severe case of pancreatitis that prevented immediate surgery. After several days of forced fasting, antibiotics to “cool things down”, and some pain medication to keep me sane, the gall bladder was removed on Friday afternoon and three gall stones retrieved from my bile duct the next day. There were enough experiences during that time to fill several blog posts so I’m choosing to highlight just a few lessons learned.

Diagnosis is never easy. Leaders (and doctors) understand the difficulties associated with definitively identifying the source of a problem and choosing a solution that will address it effectively. When I first experienced nearly identical symptoms in late November there were several items mentioned as possible culprits. I was treated initially for acid reflux and when my pain subsided it appeared to be the right diagnosis. Two months later the verdict was quite different and thankfully the real problem was uncovered. What makes the difference between a diagnosis that correctly assesses the situation and one that merely delays having to deal with the problem again?

From my health experience this past week I have drawn several conclusions that might prove prescriptive for leaders. First, I (as the patient) refused to wait for an additional test (an ultrasound) during that initial November hospital visit. Since my pain had subsided and I was traveling for the holiday weekend it seemed unnecessary to spend any extra time in the ER. That decision may have prevented physicians from accurately diagnosing the problem and treating me more effectively. Instead of taking time to really assess what was going on (finding the gall stones) I chose a fast, easy solution that only delayed the bigger problem from being treated properly. Leaders may be tempted to do the same when facing business and personnel issues. Relieving the pain quickly and moving on could reduce our anxiety but the “stones” remain.

Second, I now realize that I’m not as adept at listening to my own body as I once thought. It is hard to admit that aches and pains exist and that I’m susceptible to disease and illness like everyone else. Warning signs are easily dismissed with this type of attitude making one more vulnerable to a serious problem later. Leaders are often not as proficient as they should be at noticing the warning signs of client unrest, market shifts, and competitor incursions. They may dismiss the symptoms or employ short-term fixes that hide the real damage yet to come. Empathy is needed to be a better listener and few of us excel in this important skill.

Now that I am recovering it will be tempting to forget any lessons learned and return to my previous habits and attitudes. By writing about and publishing my experience I’m hoping to be held accountable by readers and others who know my story. Perhaps you have your own example of a missed diagnosis, refusal to dig deep enough when identifying the problem, or failure to listen and accept the truth. If so, please post your comments for publication. Meanwhile, I challenge leaders everywhere to recognize the “stones” that may occur in the work you do and be ready to remove them if needed to maintain health and wellness within your enterprise.

No comments: