Saturday, January 19, 2008

Being Versus Doing

A week ago today our local chamber of commerce honored me with their annual Community Service Award named after the longtime mayor of Souderton, Charles Allebach. You can imagine my surprise since, as a chamber board member, I thought the recognition was going to someone else. After recovering from the initial shock and accepting the award (including a brief speech that I can’t seem to remember) this past week has been an opportunity to reflect and wonder why I was named this year’s beneficiary.

Past recipients have been lifetime members of the community, actively serving on many local not-for-profit boards or as members of civic organizations, and holding influential positions in business or politics. Some have been local organizations that serve a segment of society needing special care or are known for their community impact. I have only lived in the Indian Valley for 21 years and while I have served on many committees and boards since moving here the list seems short compared to other persons I know.

A conversation with one of my co-workers provided the insight I was looking for. His congratulations was accompanied by the observation that, “maybe this award is more about who you are than what you do”. Being versus doing is what those words said to me.

I must confess that for most of my life and professional career I have struggled with separating my self-esteem from the work I do. Each project or assignment brought with it an unspoken expectation that people were judging me by the quantity and quality of my efforts. Stress and unrealistic goal setting have been the obvious results. I know I’m not alone with these emotional battles, as my conversations with other leaders would attest.

In recent years my focus has changed, influenced in large part by recognizing that God loves me, not for what I do, but for who I am. This has not been an easy lesson to learn and old patterns of behavior still lurk in the shadows ready to pounce when a project doesn’t produce the expected outcomes or a proposal is rejected. Yet by centering my attention on being a leader who is more authentic, truthful and loving I have found greater satisfaction and joy in the work I do. This shift has also fostered richer, deeper relationships among those I work with or encounter in a class, workshop or community project.

Perhaps this journal entry sounds self-serving, like I’m looking for some pat on the back for a job well done. I regret if that is the case. By sharing my experience I hope to encourage the leaders who read this blog regularly to take a look in your emotional mirror, like I did a number of years ago. Is the image you see driven by your need to be accepted based on job performance and status achieved? Or, is your heart at peace knowing you are trying to do the right things and be the kind of person God created you to be?

Awards are meaningful gestures of appreciation, and yes accomplishment, but they can’t capture how a life has inspired and influenced others. The highest compliment a leader can receive is when the people they serve respect and love them for being “real”. Being versus doing, I’m hoping that’s what the Community Service Award is really all about.

No comments: