Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lessons from a Toothache

This past Monday I noticed an aching pain in my jaw that grew worse throughout the day. As evening approached it was obvious that one of my teeth was in some distress and would require a trip to the dentist. By mid-day on Tuesday the diagnosis was made – a recent crown implant was too high and the stress caused by this small imperfection had inflamed the nerves and perhaps promoted some infection. A prescription for antibiotics was issued and so began a week of living with the discomfort of a toothache.

By now you must be wondering what this personal story has to do with leadership. Or perhaps you’re thinking, “He’s finally run out of material for this blog site.” Let me see if I can address your concern.

Small things often impact effective leadership – a timely compliment, quickly acknowledging a mistake, making something right when a customer complains, or promptly dealing with an underperforming employee. Like my slightly high crown, failing to recognize or acknowledge a problem can have painful and long-term effects. Quick and decisive action is required or the symptoms will exacerbate, perhaps requiring more intense and costly treatment later.

A second leadership lesson emerged during the week as I learned to deal with the persistent discomfort of my toothache. I found myself struggling to focus at times or wishing I could simply go home and rest. Leaders know that economic circumstances or bad business decisions sometimes carry forward painful consequences. Like a toothache, the distress and anxiety can persistently wear down our spirits and affect our judgment.

By Thursday my toothache was simply not improving and the dentist had already advised that no permanent treatment could be attempted until my supply of prescription medication was exhausted. Leadership lesson number three emerged as I shared my dilemma with a group of business leaders attending one of my classes. Someone in the group had suffered through a similar experience and quickly shared their successful approach to easing the pain. Their advice proved invaluable as I implemented a modified schedule of prescription medicine and over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain relief drugs. By Friday afternoon the persistent aching had subsided and I knew that listening to their suggestions had been a key ingredient in my recovery.

It may be unusual to draw parallels between leadership and a toothache but I’m always looking for new insights in my everyday experiences. While business and organizational development theories play an important role in shaping leadership practices, the leaders I encounter find themselves struggling with the nagging aches and pains of practical application. Prescriptive models and hypotheses rarely offer relief in these situations. Instead it is the quiet admission that things weren’t done right the first time, the dogged persistence that is necessary to carry on in spite of the pain, and a willingness to embrace advice from employees, peers, or customers who see things differently than we do.

In retrospect this week has been a mini seminar on leadership practice. While I’m not thankful for the toothache that prompted this muse I won’t quickly forget the lessons it taught me about my life as a leader. Now if I could just forgo the root canal, but that’s another lesson for another day!

No comments: