Saturday, February 21, 2009

Specks versus Logs

I have some scar tissue on my eyes from an unknown source (perhaps the result of a childhood accident). Most of the time, this veil-like cloud floats harmlessly and does little to impede my vision. Its size and scope may be a mild nuisance when I’m trying to focus on an object but I generally enjoy an unobstructed view of the world. So what is the relationship between my eye condition and this blog topic?

During the month of February I have been teaching an elective class during the Christian education hour at my church. The lessons and themes have been drawn from what many of us know as the Sermon on the Mount, recorded in chapters 5-7 of Matthew’s gospel. One of the warnings leveled in chapter 7 is about how easy it is to judge others; finding fault with their behavior while denying or neglecting to change our own. The absurdity of this attitude is illustrated by imagining how silly it would be to remove a speck from someone else's eye if a log obscured our own vision during the delicate surgery.

Psychologists and psychiatrists have a term for this behavior. It’s called projection and is defined as projecting onto others the problems and faults we are fighting ourselves. Why is it so easy for us to spot even the smallest sign of weakness in others while failing to acknowledge how large this problem may be in our life? Do leaders practice projection in their daily interactions with employees, customers, peers, and vendors? How often do I judge other’s behavior with little or no analysis of my own?

Authenticity is one antidote for the problem of projection. Of course it requires that what one thinks, says, and does are congruent on a daily basis. Therein lies the challenge. We are often unwilling or unable to see the logs that cloud our perspectives. By deflecting attention from our disparate behaviors we attempt to conceal inconsistencies and protect the image we have created for ourselves. But it’s harder to conceal the logs in our eye than we might imagine. Our inauthentic conduct reveals the weaknesses we all struggle with – anger, pride, selfishness – the list goes on and on. By pointing out the specks in other’s eyes we call even more attention to the logs in our own.

Finger-pointing and judgmental attitudes are common practice in the business and political settings where we work. None of this behavior is conducive to real problem-solving or innovation. The specks we see in others, both real and imagined, should not be our focus. How you behave and react to situations shouldn’t cloud my perspective or influence how I feel. If I focus on the logs that shape my reality and, acknowledge or remove them, I will notice that your specks don’t matter as much. Oh, I will still be tempted to point them out but they don’t need to influence my relationship with you. I can move beyond judgment to embrace forgiveness, love, and kindness toward others.

Would you agree with me that it’s time to perform some major eye surgery and regain the vision that has been lost because we lack the courage to be authentic with each other? Are you willing to confess the logs that prevent you from seeing and accepting others for what they contribute, instead of focusing on how they are different? Can you imagine a workplace or political discussion that is absent of rhetoric or blame?

I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t hold each other accountable for bad behavior. Instead we must exercise caution and care when practicing accountability and model authentic behavior in all our relationships. Only then will our need to project be abated and replaced with the loving service so frequently absent in leadership. Scalpel anyone?

No comments: