Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gifts

Since the very first day of business at Higher Ground Consulting Group I have felt drawn to share my insights freely with those I meet as a way of developing credibility in our relationship. It may be a counter-intuitive business model but giving away some of my knowledge by offering to help in this way has always felt like the right thing to do. Over the years some of those persons who benefited from my insights have become clients or referred business to me. Many more have not and that is just fine with me.

I write this weekly blog and also publish a monthly E-Newsletter. Both ventures take time but are also acts of joy I am more than willing to share with anyone who will read them. In recent months my E-Newsletter articles have included some deeply personal stories about the pain of death and self-doubt. They were written as a kind of therapy for my soul, a way to manage the hurt and uncertainty I was feeling. What I thought was my gift to loyal readers became their special gift to me.

The morning my most recent April E-Newsletter was published I began receiving emails from persons expressing their gratitude for my honesty and sharing their own struggles with self-doubt and fear. Some offered words of encouragement; others simply told their stories and made it clear I was not alone. At community and business events later that day and week I met persons who courageously identified with the themes and ideas I wrote about.

Through this experience I discovered in new ways the power of giving. My words created a bond with my readers. That is a gift to someone who believes I am called to inspire other leaders through my teaching, coaching, and writing. To know that my transparency and vulnerability touched other people and made a difference is all I need to know. My relationship with the audience for my newsletter grew stronger this past week. I treasure that knowledge and will work hard to maintain your trust. Thanks to everyone who shared your stories. They are your gifts to me.

No comments: