Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Case for Service

While I love technology I am not really a technology geek. One area that regularly causes anxiety is when I am required to load new software onto my Windows-based computer hard drive or update a current version. Unlike Apple products, Windows-based applications are often messy to work with and I find the options confusing. So, last week when I discovered that a newly purchased product would not work with the current version of publishing software installed on my laptop, I knew my day was in trouble. The experience prompted me to share my story.

I won’t reveal the company whose product and customer call center was involved. The name isn’t really important because too many organizations produce similar results. The actual online purchase and download process were fairly smooth, no major snags. Then the product install began and I hit my first snag. The serial number I had been sent was valid but the new product wasn’t recognizing my current version so I couldn’t complete the installation. I had no choice but to call customer support.

The automated phone system should have been my first clue that this wouldn’t be a great experience either. After carefully listening to all the prompts and picking my way through several levels of options I found myself in the hold cue waiting to speak with a live person. This system featured an option where I could leave a message and receive a call back within a prescribed timeframe. I figured this had to be better than waiting on the line so 20 minutes later I was the recipient of their automated callback.

Eventually a call center employee with a distinct accent was on the line and proceeded to ask me some questions about my situation. As I struggled to understand what he was saying we finally began troubleshooting my problem only to discover that the system he needed to “unlock” my new product wasn’t currently available. My call had now reached Case Number status. I was given a ten-digit number and told that I could call back within a few days and they should be able to resolve my issue. Meanwhile I could use the software in trial mode for the next few weeks. Today an email arrived inviting me to follow-up or submit an update about my case. Tomorrow I will try to find time during my busy day to wait on the phone until my case is finally solved.

I’m sure many of you have experienced similar results when trying to access customer service in some of our most successful companies. Why can’t they learn to handle customer issues with more respect and dignity? Why is my issue still unresolved some four days later? When I noticed a duplicate charge from Apple’s iTunes store over the holidays my email was responded to within a few minutes and a resolution was offered on the spot. After I had accepted their proposed solution a nice thank you email followed and a couple of days later I was invited to complete a customer service online survey about my experience. Do you think my assessment was anything less than the best?

Instead of case numbers and automated call centers why don’t companies simply make the case for better service in the first place? I have a feeling that idea has been put on hold. I just hope there is a case number to go with it.

No comments: