Friday, July 3, 2009

Dependence Day

I’m posting these thoughts on Independence Day weekend in the United States. Most media reports indicate that Americans will celebrate this year’s holiday with less fanfare than the past, due to the current economic malaise we find ourselves in. Many fireworks spectaculars have been cancelled, more of our families will stay close to home, and we are all spending less due to uncertainty about the near and long-term future. The Fourth of July holiday recalls the courageous actions of our nation’s leaders who valued their liberty and ability to pursue happiness enough to fight for it. Today those same leaders would be shocked at how far we have fallen from those early ideals.

The initial personal drive and focus on innovative thinking that attracted countless immigrants to our shores is being replaced by a growing majority of citizens who depend on our government to solve nearly every problem they face. Not everyone has succumbed to this thinking but the weight of providing for these unmet needs is shifting dramatically to a smaller and smaller percentage of our population. The current debate on government-funded entitlement programs, like health care, will shift the balance of these issues beyond the breaking point.

The writer of the Psalms saw dependence in a different light. He writes in Psalm 121, “I lift up my eyes to the hills – from where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.” What a contrast! How many of us daily acknowledge any dependence on a higher power? Do we recognize the role of a Creator in sustaining our lives and providing for our needs? The Psalmist makes no apologies for this dependence on God. In fact, he celebrates the fact that his trust is in someone capable of protecting him and providing for his future.

As someone committed to inspirational leadership I sometimes wonder how dependent I am on God. It’s easy to believe that my own initiative and drive is opening new doors, bringing me clients, and creating my future. But I know that is not the case. Yes, I must act when given the opportunity. Yes, I must do my best and continue to grow and learn. Yet, in reality, I can only succeed when my independent spirit yields in dependence to the one that created me in the first place. Dependence leads to independence.

I suppose some of my blog readers may take issue with the spiritual overtones of my message. There is no intent to disrespect or offend anyone. On this Independence Day weekend I simply want to offer a different perspective. If you believe, like I do, in the spiritual connections of all humanity and acknowledge the creative power of a God that rules our universe, then perhaps we should actually be celebrating Dependence Day with our family and friends. Go fire up that grille!

No comments: