Sunday, January 23, 2011

Honoring Rita

As I write this week’s post, fresh memories of last night’s chamber of commerce banquet are lingering in my mind. My last official act as board president was to serve as emcee for this annual event where we highlight the work of our organization and honor the people and businesses that makes our region, what we call the Indian Valley, a special place to live and work. Since 1987 one award has assumed center stage as we celebrate an organization or individual whose volunteer spirit and commitment to service stands out from the crowd. I was humbled to receive this honor in 2007 and will never forget the shock and surprise I felt. Knowing my peers had collaborated to choose me above many other worthy candidates is something I will never forget.

Last night I was privileged to introduce this year’s winner of the Charles H. Allebach, Jr. Community Service Award, my dear friend, Rita Woodward. Like me, she was overwhelmed with emotion as her name was announced. A standing ovation served to validate our choice. Rita’s example of giving back is worth sharing and that is what my brief tribute will attempt to convey.

Imagine a dynamic personality combined with master networking skills. Add a generous mix of love, kindness, generosity, and creativity. Stir in some passion and boundless energy. Share these abilities and attributes with others in both work and volunteer settings and you have just described Rita. Well, actually it’s difficult to capture the special way Rita lights up a room, changes a conversation, or takes charge of a situation. Anyone who knows and serves with her could add dozens of descriptions to my abridged version.

In the years I have known Rita, she has been a constant encourager, a faithful friend, a patient listener, and a passionate advocate. Even when she lost her job a couple of years ago, her positive attitude and persistent determination kept her focused on opportunities for personal and professional growth. She networked, volunteered, accepted short-term assignments, and never succumbed to the temptation of defeat, even if she may have felt like it at times.

Rita does inspiring work because she is an inspiring person. That is why I am so pleased she was honored by our chamber board. They recognize that leadership and inspiration aren’t one and the same. Someone who inspires doesn’t always hold a title or office but they are true leaders. Someone who leads, even with a position or status, is often not very inspiring. Rita is the former, a leader because she inspires others to serve and give.

Margaret Mead is quoted as saying, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” That’s who Rita is and why we need others like her to make a difference in our world. Perhaps Rita’s story may inspire you to act, and if you do, I hope you will return to this blog and post your story. Thanks, Rita, for  inspiring so many others to “pay it forward!”

No comments: