Saturday, January 29, 2011

Silence Is Golden

This past week on more than one occasion I was reminded about the important role silence plays in my teaching and coaching work. That realization prompted me to recall a blog posting I had written in March of 2007 (see blog archives for the original version). I decided to update my thinking on this important topic.

In recent years I have focused on doing inspiring work and being an inspirational leader. I have tried to learn and practice good listening skills while challenging the intellectual, emotional, and spiritual well-being of the clients I am serving. Silence, however awkward and uncomfortable, is a necessary element of these interactions. Our addiction to noise and brain stimulation is a frightening phenomenon, turning human interaction into digital posts and tweets. Cultivating silence in the midst of mind-numbing chatter is an enormous challenge.

How many of us have a daily routine that includes time to listen and reflect? One of my favorite scripture verses is Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God." Regardless of your faith perspective this is prescriptive advice for today's "do everything" leadership mentality. It is in the silence that we can listen—to our hearts, our families, our employees, and our customers. Taking a deep breath, clearing our minds, and waiting for a word from God is the only way we can recharge our mental and emotional batteries. Meditating and reflecting heightens our awareness of what really matters, allows us to sort through the clutter, and rebuilds our capacity to serve. Silence heals, renews, and cleanses us so we can absorb new ideas, connect more closely with what and whom we love, and experience the presence of God in a personal way.

I confess that practicing silence isn't easy for me. My brain races in a dozen directions at first but, if I am disciplined to wait and listen, eventually my spirit surrenders to the sweet music of the Soul—to the sound of silence. It is at these moments that God can speak (even shout at times) and I am finally ready to hear the message. There is energy in this place of quiet reflection. Silence is the setting where faith flows freely, where wisdom finds a voice, where dreams are birthed, and possibilities are imagined. Revisiting this special sanctuary every day can transform how we as leaders perform. More importantly it can change who we are.

Robert Greenleaf offered this thoughtful question for us to ponder: "In saying what I have in mind, will I really improve on the silence?" How would the persons you love and serve assess your leadership if they were asked that question? What would my own clients, colleagues, family, and friends say about me?

Perhaps we all need to silence our cell phones, abandon our in-boxes, and disconnect from the frenzy of Facebook and Twitter on a daily basis. Let's reconnect to the human spirit by gathering with and really listening to each other. By thoughtfully and intentionally practicing silence, might our message carry more worth and meaning when it is finally delivered? Will you have the courage to give it a try?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thank you for this refreshing post on practicing silence... I like to think of it as giving God a chance to get a word in :) I, too, notice as a pastor that if I give room for silence be it in public worship or in conversations in my office, it opens up more sacred space and generative conversations. Great to hear how it works for you!

Beth